Maine has one of the highest percentages of veterans in the country, and we owe each and every one of them a tremendous debt of gratitude. While we can never fully repay them for their commitment to our nation and for their sacrifice in defending our cherished freedoms, we can take steps to honor them and their families. That is why as governor I will:
- Improve access to medical care and work to ensure that no veteran is homeless. I will make ending veteran homelessness a priority of the Maine Bureau of Veterans Services, and I will secure commitments from communities across the state to engage in partnerships to provide resources for homeless veterans. I will also work with the Legislature and the Court System to expand veterans’ courts to support the continued treatment of substance use disorder, and I will accept federal funds for expanded Medicaid coverage that will benefit thousands of Mainers, including veterans.
- Provide grants to help veterans grow small businesses. As part of my economic action plan, my administration will provide up to $100,000 in capital investment through a competitive grant program for veteran-owned small businesses administered by a panel of veteran business owners. The funds can be used for new construction or new equipment at veteran-owned small businesses.
- Create good-paying jobs for those who have served. My administration will take the lead in ensuring that every veteran has a good-paying job when they return home. I will take the lead in fostering community integration and in developing programs that increase job skills and training programs, that create information resources, and that provide veterans with access to educational opportunities. This will be accomplished through strong leadership from the Governor’s Office, the Maine Department of Labor, and the Maine Bureau of Veterans’ Services, and collaboration with Maine’s business community and Maine’s veterans’ service organizations. Together, we can make it easier to translate the experiences and skills of veterans into good-paying jobs in Maine.
- Enhance Veteran Resources. As governor, I will ensure strong leadership in the Guard and across every office of the Department of Defense, Veterans, and Emergency Management, including the Maine Bureau of Veterans’ Services. I will provide Veterans’ Services with adequate and modern resources.
- Protect Our Guard Assets. As governor, I will fight to protect the resources and the future of the Maine Army National Guard and Maine Air National Guard, including our units based in Augusta, Bangor, Brewer, Brunswick, Belfast, Calais, Lewiston, Norway, Sanford, Skowhegan, Waterville, and Westbrook.